Thursday 18 December 2014

Shine bright like a diamond



"Diamonds"


Shine bright like a diamond
Shine bright like a diamond

Find light in the beautiful sea
I choose to be happy
You and I, you and I
We’re like diamonds in the sky

You’re a shooting star I see
A vision of ecstasy
When you hold me, I’m alive


We’re like diamonds in the sky

It is a surprisingly limited lyric that some interpret as celebrating the duality of love and the experience of drugs (ecstasy & its slang derivative molly) and alcohol (moonshine) using the diamond sparkle metaphor.  As you know I am quite partial to a good metaphor, having used the idea of hurricane formation in my most recent sports marketing paper submission.

Rihanna's anthem (500m+ views on YouTube) has gone beyond hit single and adopted and adapted and currently features in cover form by Josef Salvat in Sony's 4K TV global advertising campaign. You have for sure seen it and heard it.  Filmed in on of my favourite places in the world, Whistler in British Colombia, using no special effects the ad shows ice crystals forming on blown bubbles.  A clever connection between a hit song and crystal clear images, a little to literal and bland for me.  But a haunting version of the song none-the-less.






It reminds me of Exec Search friend Eileen Lee told me once; I didn't think to use a diamond image when I featured the below graphic in one of my blogs most read posts.



It also contains the quote I love:

 "Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without"

The Royal Holloway MBA is accredited by AMBA, the only MBA focussed quality assurance body.  We are looking forwards to a successful reaccreditation visit in June 2015 and noted that the associations brand relaunch has gone down the metaphor route too.  

Does it shine for you ?