Sunday 18 January 2015

Looking at Life Differently: Reflections from a graduated Distance Learning MBA student: Dimitar Filipov

Dimitar Filipov, MBA
Royal Holloway MBA by distance learning graduate Dimitar Filipov wrote:

It’s been several months now since I have finished the MBA programme (with merit :) ). I have been extremely busy for the last few months to catch up with my work, so I finally found some moments to drop you a few words.


When I started, I hadn’t studied for nearly 20 years. Besides, this was my first encounter with British educational system and my fist subject I studied in English. It was hard. I barely passed my first exam (50/100). However, it was really, really interesting. I have spent the last three years reading thousands of pages. I had never read so much, though I do read a lot. For this time I have never slept more than 5 hours a day. But all of this was really rewarding. I had read in a book that the difference between a training and an education is that the training is teaching you to do something better, whereas the education is changing your perspective. THIS IS what happened with me in Royal Holloway University of London – I got a different sight, another pair of eyes. Many schools are claiming to provide this, but very few are really doing it. RHUL is undoubtedly one of the seconds. I have been in the business for more than 20 years. For the last year I see things differently – in perspective and in a really clear way.

About the quality of the education. For the last few months I have finished a few Coursera courses from some top American business schools (part of their MBA programmes). These were an Organisational analysis from Stanford (voted No. 1 Coursera business course for 2014), Advanced competitive strategy from Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich and a couple of Entrepreneurship courses with Maryland University. I found all of these much easier than RHUL’s ones, all of them based predominantly on empirical approaches. Their assignments were jokes compared to RHUL ones (including Stanford’s ones) and I easily got marks in the 90s. My conclusion is that RHUL education was much more theoretically based, but ALL of the principles we studied in strategy, economics and marketing modules WERE used in one form or another in these courses. I could easily cope with all of these and I knew where this knowledge came from, whereas for most of the students this was an enigma. This is to say that now I have a base for comparison and I can clearly see that the RHUL education is a really of a top class and is deeply holistic and fundamental.




Finally, I believe the money I spent on this programme is amongst the best spent one in my life. I don’t regret a single penny of it. Now I have a totally new perspective, my life has totally changed due to this new perspective, I have plenty of colleagues and friends around the world and I am part of the alumni community of one of the best universities in the word. I am really proud of being part of all this.


Regards;

Dimitar Filipov, MBA